From the history of the Ciechanów Land
In the sixth / seventh century on today's county area the Masovians flocked, whose settlement was discovered near a gord in Ciechanów at today's Farska Mount. The first written information about Ciechanów comes from 1065. During this period, settlements developed, entering the vast forests. In the fifteenth century. Ciechanów became capital of the county and land in the Duchy of Mazovia. Its peak of development was reached in the sixteenth and early seventeenth century, due to Queen Bona. During the Swedish invasion, 30-40% of the buildings were destroyed and about half the population decreased.
After the Second Partition of Poland, the administrative division changed and Ciechanów was designated the capital of the province (in 1793), but in fact it was only for a year.
Eventually the northern Mazovia was seized by the Prussians, and Ciechanów became a secondary city in a large Przasnysz county, covering a whole Ciechanów county today.
In times of annexation and during the Napoleonic Wars there were hardly conditions for the development, and because of these, Ciechanów developed slowly. In 1867 Ciechanów county was reactivated and slightly larger than today, including Krasne commune and encircled vicinities of Niedzbórz and Wola Dębska.
Thanks to the railway line, the industrial brewery, sugar factory were established in Ciechanów. The trade revived and the investment increased. A sizeable group of barracks was built. Also rural areas, especially these closer to the railway station in Ciechanów, Gąsocin and Konopki, gained significantly. The accelerated development took place until 1914: a second sugar refinery was built, and the entire industry was almost a second city, with a narrow-gauge railway for the sugar refinery. Especially community-actions, including these of the Raniecki family and F. Rajkowski with family, educational initiatives of Aleksandra Bąkowska in Gołotczyzna and the creation of a school in Sokołówek, deserve for the special distinction.
During the fighting from 1914 to 1915, Ciechanów did not suffer significant losses. After regaining independence, a Polish county was organised here, keeping its borders. Dramatic events took place during the 1920 war, including the Battle of Przedwojewo and Sarnow Mountain, and particularly strategically important to the destruction of the Bolshevik connectivity center in Ciechanów.
During the interwar years, the narrow-gauge railway line from Ciechanow to Grudusk was established, where even during the Great War the Germans built a railway from Mława to Przasnysz. Together with a narrow-gauge railway for the sugar refinery reaching Krasne and Gołymin, the railway system could be considered as significantly developed.
There were no more fighting during the war in 1939 in the county, but the large losses resulted from German air raids. Germany joined the North Mazowsze to East Prussia, setting Ciechanów the capital of the new regency (equivalent to the voivodeship) and planning its development to about 100 thousand residents. Therefore, they built a large housing (blocks) and destroyed a large part of buildings in the centre, to make space for more investments. The stationing of many troops and police hindered the combat guerilla warfare.
Using the slave labor of Poles and Jews, the state of many roads improved. The novelty was the establishment of the airport in Sokołówek.
Education was disseminated. Electrification and mechanization of agriculture began, the city was rebuilt.
After the new administrative division in 1975, the Ciechanów voivodeship was established. Investments increased, high rate of growth was noticeable in rural areas. In 1999 after the next administrative reform, the Ciechanow county was re-established, posessing - until now - the status of the land county.